Angus Macleod New F...

Notifications
Clear all

Angus Macleod New Foundational Strategy  

RSS

(@angus-macleod)
16/09/2020 1:53 pm  

Hi Michael

I have just gone through the updated foundational strategies section in search of which one to implement that best suits me.

Originally I was paper trading the PR Odds strategy using the Place market for the last couple of weeks per your recommendation regarding my low risk preferences.

In light of these newly updated strategies, I am leaning towards the first strategy due to its higher strike rate (again for the place market) but I also find myself interested in strategy 7 - in play trading.

What would you recommend I focus on to begin with?

(@mikeywilding)
Member Admin
16/09/2020 5:07 pm  

Hi Angus, what were the results with the PR Odds strategy to date?

Follow the Race Advisor on social media on Facebook, YouTube, Twitter and Instagram. You can also find my personal accounts on Instagram and Facebook

ReplyQuote
(@angus-macleod)
16/09/2020 6:23 pm  

I didn't unfortunately keep detailed enough notes to date, it was more initially just getting a feel for how many of the 4 selections were coming in on the whole. I realise now I would need far more detail in order to get a fuller picture. Newbie mistake, lesson learned.

Would Strategy 1 or Strategy 7 be a better fit for me do you think? In-play trading does interest me as I am currently doing pre-race trading as my main focus and would just like a strategy I could run alongside that, maybe on another platform/exchange.

ReplyQuote
(@mikeywilding)
Member Admin
16/09/2020 7:00 pm  

@angus-macleod I think you would be able to do both. The place version of strategy #1 doesn't have many contenders. So you can use those, follow the guide to confirming their strength, and start practising it. Alongside that you can begin to practice strategy #7 when you have the time with minimum stakes. As you can use it in most races it can be practiced when you can. Make sure you keep detailed records of the results of each strategy separately so you can see how each one is progressing.

Follow the Race Advisor on social media on Facebook, YouTube, Twitter and Instagram. You can also find my personal accounts on Instagram and Facebook

ReplyQuote
(@angus-macleod)
17/09/2020 11:24 am  

Thanks, I will get started with strategy #1 first using the Place market and then look to move to #7 in due time.

Would I still paper trade for the first while? I was considering starting with £10 stakes as I have a fairly modest three figure bank but still would like to make some sort of profit even if it is small to begin with.

ReplyQuote
(@michael-clarke)
Noble Member Customer
17/09/2020 3:02 pm  

I would paper trade. These strategies have been based on past data and I suspect they may not be as successful going forward.

ReplyQuote
(@mikeywilding)
Member Admin
17/09/2020 4:39 pm  

As @michael-clarke said, you should paper trade until you're confident in them, it also gives you time to practice the final part of the analysis. 

Posted by: @angus-macleod

I was considering starting with £10 stakes as I have a fairly modest three figure bank

As long as you're focusing on the place only strategy, that should be fine when you're ready, but you have to be prepared for any losing streaks. It's better to start staking smaller and increase when you're very comfortable.

Don't make the mistake of thinking that small stakes means small profit. I've been running a test to show someone how Foundational Strategies can work to small stakes, using £2 stakes since Saturday( and missing Sunday) and so far the profit is £71.56. I have been using a very high turnover approach, which means a losing streak hit could wipe out a big chunk of that very quickly. But it gives you an idea of what is possible for small stakes. Confidence in the approach is important.

ReplyQuote
(@angus-macleod)
18/09/2020 12:10 pm  

Don't make the mistake of thinking that small stakes means small profit. I've been running a test to show someone how Foundational Strategies can work to small stakes, using £2 stakes since Saturday( and missing Sunday) and so far the profit is £71.56. I have been using a very high turnover approach, which means a losing streak hit could wipe out a big chunk of that very quickly. But it gives you an idea of what is possible for small stakes. Confidence in the approach is important.

I'm guessing that means its a high risk strategy using £2 stakes? Sounds like a fantastic result though.

Yes I am going to start with small stakes as I feel ok with £10 at present, I will just use the contenders in the daily email as a starting point and create a custom race card for this approach as suggested to see which ones I will bet on.

Looking forward to seeing this in action!

ReplyQuote
(@angus-macleod)
18/09/2020 12:11 pm  
Posted by: @michael-clarke

I would paper trade. These strategies have been based on past data and I suspect they may not be as successful going forward.

Appreciate the advice, interested to hear why you think these strategies may not be as successful?

ReplyQuote
(@mikeywilding)
Member Admin
18/09/2020 2:18 pm  

I'm guessing that means its a high risk strategy using £2 stakes?

It's not high risk, but is high turnover 🙂

ReplyQuote
(@michael-clarke)
Noble Member Customer
18/09/2020 5:21 pm  

Appreciate the advice, interested to hear why you think these strategies may not be as successful?

Bitter experience I am afraid Angus. 

Having developed strategies over the best part of 40 years only a small proportion of them have proved profitable and then only for a limited amount of time.

I have found that you need at least 4 years base data and at least 1 year's test data. Even then the AE that is achieved in the base data is unlikely to be achieved when running "live" so I am normally looking for an AE of at least 1.08 in the base data to give me a margin for error.

I don't think any of the foundation strategies meet any of the criteria that I would use which is why I am a little sceptical about them but I am happy to be proved wrong.

ReplyQuote
(@angus-macleod)
19/09/2020 2:01 pm  

@michael-clarke

Thats a fair amount of betting experience there mate, I've only been in this space (horse race betting) a few months and aware thats there's clearly a lot to learn and practice. Enthusiastic to learn though!

@mikeywilding

I see, I had the wrong terminology, I re-read your explanation and see what you mean now thanks

ReplyQuote
(@michael-clarke)
Noble Member Customer
19/09/2020 2:44 pm  

Yep it's a great hobby but don't expect to make a fortune out of it and be very sceptical of claims made by those selling systems / offering tips etc.

ReplyQuote
(@angus-macleod)
21/09/2020 11:39 am  
Posted by: @michael-clarke

Yep it's a great hobby but don't expect to make a fortune out of it and be very sceptical of claims made by those selling systems / offering tips etc.

Appreciate the advice mate, I have seen a load of people offering exactly that, tips and systems but none of them smelled right at all. It was only when I came across @mikeywilding videos on youtube and read a few of his articles I began to think differently about long term profitable betting and then joined this community...and glad I did!

I only really plan to use betting as a hobby/ potential nest egg builder over time, something I can  plan, set and forget as my main focus at present and for this last while has been pre-race trading.

ReplyQuote
Share:
Back to top button
Close