Notifications
Clear all

MarkBanks123 4-Question Strategy  

RSS

(@markbanks123)
04/08/2020 10:56 pm  

Hi mate, keen to start! In response to the questions:

1) What type of bet do you prefer? Back, Lay, Place, Each Way, Dutch, 80/20 etc.

Back, lay, EW, place mainly

​2) How much time do you have available on days you bet to find selections?

1-2hrs max

​3) After how much time in a downswing do you start to become uncomfortable?

After 5-10 races

​4) How many selections do you like?

Anywhere between 1&5 a day depending on confidence! 

(@mikeywilding)
Member Admin
06/08/2020 5:01 pm  

Thank you for the answers @markbanks123, great to have you here 🙂

With your comfort zone being between five and ten races, we want to aim for at least 50% strike rate. However, I'd suggest we'd start by going closer to the bottom of your comfort zone at five losing bets in a row, this means we need nearer an 80% strike rate.

With that in mind, I'd suggest we focus on place betting or laying, which are you more comfortable with?

Follow the Race Advisor on social media on Facebook, YouTube, Twitter and Instagram. You can also find my personal accounts on Instagram and Facebook

ReplyQuote
(@markbanks123)
12/08/2020 11:30 pm  

@mikeywilding Hi Michael,

Thanks for the response. I would say I am more comfortable with place betting, I have been practicing using the VDW strategy with place bets on my selections when I get a bit of free time! Open to trying lay betting though, relatively new to the exchange so it isn’t something i’ve done before. 

Cheers

Mark

ReplyQuote
(@mikeywilding)
Member Admin
13/08/2020 2:20 pm  

@markbanks123 if you're more comfortable with place betting, let's focus on that for the moment, we can always look at lay betting next 🙂

If you've been practicing with VDW, and assuming you like the ratings, then it would make sense to use the VDW strategy at https://www.raceadvisor.co.uk/instant-strategies/

Focus on using VDW Place Race Scores to decide on the races we're going to focus on. Let me know if you've already watched that foundational strategy and if you have any questions on it.

Follow the Race Advisor on social media on Facebook, YouTube, Twitter and Instagram. You can also find my personal accounts on Instagram and Facebook

ReplyQuote
(@markbanks123)
13/08/2020 3:10 pm  

@mikeywilding Thanks for coming back so promptly! 

Yeah the VDW strategy makes sense to me; I have started 80:20 betting where the win % is high too and it is going well enough for a beginning effort! Two questions: 

- On a lot of your videos you bring up contenders ticked green and ones without a chance made red, this doesn't seem to work for me? 

- Is french form included in the ratings across the card or purely UK/Irish form? 

Cheers

Mark

ReplyQuote
(@mikeywilding)
Member Admin
14/08/2020 11:05 am  
Posted by: @markbanks123

- On a lot of your videos you bring up contenders ticked green and ones without a chance made red, this doesn't seem to work for me? 

When you click on any horse's PR Odds this should bring up the overlay with the Contenders and Eliminations in it? What happens when you click on a horses PR Odds?

Could you please also make sure if you have anti-virus and/or firewall software running on your computer, you add www.raceadvisor.co.uk for full access through them so it doesn't stop functions of the software.

- Is french form included in the ratings across the card or purely UK/Irish form? 

Currently we just have UK/Irish form included. We are looking at the possibility of adding some international racing next year but have no confirmed dates on this yet.

ReplyQuote
(@mikeywilding)
Member Admin
14/08/2020 11:05 am  

When you click on any horse's PR Odds this should bring up the overlay with the Contenders and Eliminations in it? What happens when you click on a horses PR Odds?

Could you please also make sure if you have anti-virus and/or firewall software running on your computer, you add www.raceadvisor.co.uk for full access through them so it doesn't stop functions of the software.

Currently we just have UK/Irish form included. We are looking at the possibility of adding some international racing next year but have no confirmed dates on this yet.

ReplyQuote
(@markbanks123)
14/08/2020 12:37 pm  

@mikeywilding Perfect, thanks. Yesterday the PR overlay wasn't working but it appears to be fine now!

Regarding the international racing, no worries, it isn't something I am overly interested in just worth baring in mind in higher grade racing when the ratings leave out a horse with interesting French form (I got 14/1 winner Alpinsta @ Salisbury yesterday after it went close in a French Listed LTO). 

So far, 80:20 betting on one or two of the VDW contenders seems to be serving me well, alongside the odd punt on a market mover in races with unexposed horses & good trainer/jockey combos. Started with £20 last week and have built it to over £200 without increasing stakes passed 10! Need to have a look at building my own racecard next to sieve out the ratings I am not as keen on using & prioritise those I like most. 

The daily digest VDW races are very useful, saves me a tonne of time so thanks for that.

ReplyQuote
(@mikeywilding)
Member Admin
14/08/2020 5:45 pm  

Great start, congratulations. I wouldn't make any changes if it's working, get more data and wait until you have 100 winning bets and assess. It's very easy to adjust something that's working and make it stop working, it's better to start on another approach while you gather the data.

ReplyQuote
(@markbanks123)
17/08/2020 1:39 pm  

@mikeywilding Cheers Michael, going well enough. Going to start tracking the bets so I can work out my strike rate. Just need to avoid wasting cash on the Champions League now 🤣 

Two ratings I don't quite understand are how the Jockey & Trainer ratings on the standard card are calculated? Do you have a video of how that is worked out? 

ReplyQuote
(@mikeywilding)
Member Admin
17/08/2020 5:51 pm  

Two ratings I don't quite understand are how the Jockey & Trainer ratings on the standard card are calculated? Do you have a video of how that is worked out? 

I don't have a video, but they are based on the speed ratings of the horses that they have ridden/trained and we apply a time decay function so the more recent races have a higher importance.

ReplyQuote
(@markbanks123)
16/09/2020 11:16 pm  

@mikeywilding

Hi Michael 

Didnt bet for a good few weeks (had prof qualification exams) - getting back into it now and thinking two things:

1 - I think I will continue using the races with high VDW %’s, and choosing from the 4 best horses. I think coupling this with usual race analysis and introducing using the speed graph to further analyse could work well, what are your thoughts? I just watched the speed graph video and it seems a fairly reliable indicator?

2 - What features would you suggest on a race card using the above strategy? Any must use ones? I usually run a monte carlo simulator at the end of analysis to see if I missed anything - this factors in all of the ratings on the card you’re using right?

Cheers

Mark 

ReplyQuote
(@mikeywilding)
Member Admin
17/09/2020 4:32 pm  

@markbanks123 I hope the exams went well 🙂

1 - I think I will continue using the races with high VDW %’s, and choosing from the 4 best horses. I think coupling this with usual race analysis and introducing using the speed graph to further analyse could work well, what are your thoughts? I just watched the speed graph video and it seems a fairly reliable indicator?

Yes it can definitely work, it is a question of practicing, when you miss-interpret the race, going back to see if you could have read it differently (you can't always). This makes a huge impact on your improvement. The speed graphs are a very strong indicator of performance, particularly when used in the way I show in the video where you start on very similar conditions and then pull back to include more and more possible conditions, as it gives you a picture of the performance of all horses together.

2 - What features would you suggest on a race card using the above strategy? Any must use ones? I usually run a monte carlo simulator at the end of analysis to see if I missed anything - this factors in all of the ratings on the card you’re using right?

If you are shortlisting by VDW race % and then using Monte Carlo and speed graphs, I actually wouldn't recommend using any more. That's enough to become profitable. I would use VDW % first, then speed graphs to get a picture of how those four horses may perform. I'd finish with the Monte Carlo Simulator to confirm the remaining selections and highlight any potential threats I may not have spotted. If there are any potential threats I hadn't spotted I 'd go back to the speed graphs and look for them specifically, in comparison to my contender list.

ReplyQuote
(@markbanks123)
18/09/2020 4:34 pm  

@mikeywilding

Thanks!

I will continue with that strategy then, revisiting any unsuccessful ones. Yeah that sounds reasonable, I guess analysing the risk being high and pulling out of a bet is the trickiest part (especially when it's a last minute rival and you felt confident beforehand)!!

ReplyQuote
Share:
Back to top button
Close