Short Price Novice Racing  

Page 2 / 3
  RSS

Ian Murray
(@irmurr50)
Eminent Member
29/09/2019 10:24 pm  

Thanks John

I am sure I can, just thought somebody might already have an excel template for this that I could "buy, borrow or steal".

I have rarely visited a betting shop, do everything online unless I am at a racecourse (very rare sadly) when occasionally I have bet on course with predictably losing results - just not clued up (or pissed up) on those past occasions.

ReplyQuote
Forum 1
(@andrewp)
Reputable Member
29/09/2019 11:21 pm  

The extra place odds are available on Betfair exchange Ian. If you use the website, it's on a tab e.g. 4TBP (four to be placed).

I can help you with a spreadsheet to record and analyse the results if you give me a few days.

If you're still at the experimental stage you will probably also want a sheet to hold a dataset of historic exported data so you can analyse it in different ways. Again, if you decide on your factors/racecard, I can help with this.

ReplyQuote
Ian Murray
(@irmurr50)
Eminent Member
30/09/2019 12:12 am  

Thanks Andrew

I've seen the extra place odds; just did not know that they where called enhanced odds. Very decent of you to offer help regarding spreadsheet. I will gladly take you up on this although I did not want to cause too much trouble - I probably should be able to work this out for myself.

No pressure at all on timescales. No Novice selections for me tomorrow. Don't like the grond or the possible novice races.

ReplyQuote
Forum 1
(@andrewp)
Reputable Member
30/09/2019 8:14 pm  

I've knocked up a quick spreadsheet for you to try Ian.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/uhx5pcxyzz1cty1/Sheet%20for%20Ian%20Murray.xlsx?dl=0

I've kept it simple so there's no automation just a few formulas and functions. I've included some notes but ask if you have any questions. Let me know if anything doesn't work or anything you need changing.

ReplyQuote
Forum 3
(@spirituallygifted)
Eminent Member
01/10/2019 12:06 am  

Kingsoft spreadsheets are free to download if anyone looking for this

ReplyQuote
Ian Murray
(@irmurr50)
Eminent Member
01/10/2019 12:06 am  

Thank you Andrew - a fantastic gift - I have a decent grasp of statistics and can work out the bigger picture but the detailed maths ability escapes me and irritates me when I use Excel. Takes me ages to create and build what evidently comes as second nature to you.

Cheers!

ReplyQuote
Forum 4
(@andrew-p)
Estimable Member
01/10/2019 12:29 am  

You're welcome Ian.

Been messing around with spreadsheets since the days of Lotus 123. I just poke around and work it out as I go. Never had a lesson and still can't do the really clever VBA stuff.

Shout if anything doesn't work or needs tweaking.

ReplyQuote
Forum 5
(@michael-clarke)
Prominent Member
01/10/2019 12:51 am  

I do miss Lotus, macros were so much easier to write !

It probably shows our age !

ReplyQuote
Forum 6
(@mikeywilding)
Member Admin
01/10/2019 1:16 pm  

I remember Lotus, but always preferred Excel! These days I prefer databases 🙂

ReplyQuote
Ian Murray
(@irmurr50)
Eminent Member
01/10/2019 9:20 pm  

Thanks Audrey - I shall have a look.

ReplyQuote
Forum 7
(@paul-poyser)
Trusted Member
02/10/2019 12:20 pm  

My life with spreadsheets started within an Acorn Electron, this used a slimmed-down version of BBC basic, which I think became popular in schools, after I left. The spreadsheet program needed an extension to the base computer, which allowed cartridges to be added. Used the knowledge gained to create files within SuperCalc on a SuperBrain computer at work. Came into contact with Excel when I purchased a newer computer. It went out of favour for a while after an upgrade, There was a lot more that could be done, but it took a long time getting to grips with the higher functions, and navigating the new menus.

Now I use excel for a lot of my records. Have attempted to use Lotus in the past, but I guess excel had become too engraved in my mind.

And Michael, databases, I use, and was given lessons at work on how to use Excel as a database program.

ReplyQuote
Forum 6
(@mikeywilding)
Member Admin
02/10/2019 11:11 pm  

I never managed to figure out how to use Excel as a database. I remember trying for a bit and getting peed off and learnt MySQL instead 😀

ReplyQuote
Forum 4
(@andrew-p)
Estimable Member
02/10/2019 11:36 pm  

I know we're a bit off-topic but for me it's a case of horses for courses. Database for joining data tables, storage etc. then export data sub-sets to spreadsheet for analysis.  If my analysis were repetitive I might go to the trouble of learning SQL but for me analysis is quicker and more flexible in Excel.

With modern computer power and memory (64 bit addressing), Excel + Power BI makes it feasible to link Excel direct to csv tables and act like a database. However, when working with the whole database (1.2 million records and 100+ fields) it can be a bit a bit sluggish.

Big data and AI have certainly added a whole new dimension to predictive analysis (and manipulation).

ReplyQuote
Forum 4
(@andrew-p)
Estimable Member
02/10/2019 11:46 pm  

My life with spreadsheets started within an Acorn Electron, this used a slimmed-down version of BBC basic. The spreadsheet program needed an extension to the base computer, which allowed cartridges to be added.

Blimey Paul, that must have been a challenge. I waited until I had the luxury of an PC clone with an 8086 processor before tackling spreadsheets. Hard to visualise those pre-GUI spreadsheets now but at the time we thought they were great.

ReplyQuote
Ian Murray
(@irmurr50)
Eminent Member
06/10/2019 10:40 pm  

Time for an update:

01/10/2019 Sedgefield Jatiluwih 1.3 1 15.22 4.47 765.53
  01/10/2019 Kempton Lyricist Voice 1.3 1 15.31 4.5 770.03
  02/10/2019 Bangor Gold Legend 1.56 1 15.4 8.45 778.48
  02/10/2019 Kempton Qaseeda 1.45 0 15.57 -15.57 762.91
  02/10/2019 Newcastle Tsar 1.37 1 15.26 5.53 768.44
  04/10/2019 Hexham Echiquier 1.51 1 15.37 7.68 776.12
  05/10/2019 Fontwell Minella Beat 2 0 15.52 -15.52 760.6
  06/10/2019 Kelso Lucky Flight 1.39 1 15.21 5.81 766.41

So a bit of a mixed bag - not progressing but still a small profit. No need to give up on the strategy as yet. 23 bets have been made. The strategy is beginning to become a part of me - I want it to work but I have to accept that my thinking is not communicated to the race track. It becomes interesting to await the next result. Slowly but surely you assess this process as a probability game... devoid of emotion, well not quite.

I will go through briefly each bet. I'll get better at this, hopefully, as we go along, as I admit I have not been taking notes on every bet, in fact any.

So for new readers check previous posts to find the last screenshot of the results. Better still read the whole thread. 

Jatiluwih - qualifier so straight back bet and result.

Lyricist Voice - 12 runners and this horse well backed but close odds with Overpriced Mixer (eventual fav), I chose to place bet this one and result was a result with my horse in 2nd. Not sure I will do this again as caught out later with same strategy (Qaseeda).

Gold Legend - qualifier so straight back bet and result.

Qaseeda - I had assessed this race as between Qaseeda and So Sharp. Qaseeda was odds on BUT there was not a significant gap between the two. The rest seemed clearly out of touch. So I went for a place bet on Qaseeda who only managed fifth. Ummm...

Tsar - qualifier so straight back bet and result. 

So basically in one day Qaseeda spoiled my party...

Echiquier - qualifier so straight back bet and result.

Minella Beat - qualifier and just odds on but just beaten - probably just one of those things - winner returned at 23 BF

Lucky Flight - qualifier so straight back bet and result. This one also appeared on my other system for CD winners - I used to think that this validated my choice but bear in mind that qualifier under one system does not necessarily validate a qualifier in another.

So still in profit but not progressing - if and when we do pass the milestone (set after the nine successive wins) then the whole strategy will probably lose interest for this forum. We are not there yet.

Thanks for reading.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3
Share:
Back to top button
Close
Close