Notifications
Clear all

System Builder - Todays selection Issue - PFPPROCl / PFPCl  

RSS

Topic starter

@mikeywilding

Hi Michael. I am not use this is really a bug, but I think it is an issue that needs some thought. I use the actual PFP Class rating (PFPCl) in my micro-angles. But the problem is that since PFPCl doesn't get calculated until after the race then there will never be any selections matched for todays racing. 

I suppose I could use PFPPROCl in my micro angles, but this for me seems wrong as this is an estimate of the PFPCl not the actual rating for the race. I would rather use the actual PFPCl for my micro angles as I believe this will provide less variance than using the estimated rating on both the system building and selection sides.

I maybe naively assumed that for selection purposes the system builder would recognise that PFPCl would  not be available for todays selections and substitute PFPPROCl instead.

I guess that there are probably other ratings that fall into the same category.

Cheers

John

Thanks for this John. This is definitely something to look at, but I am going to move it to feature request as I think we would benefit from having a bit of discussion around how this works. The issue with automatically switching out one rating for another, even those it's a projected version, is that I think that could be quite confusing. It may be that it's something we could ask if you want to do when you select a rating that isn't available until post-race?

3 Answers
Topic starter

Hi Michael. Sure that is fine. However, it is possibly even more confusing as it stands. As soon as anyone uses PFPCl a system then they will never match todays selections. It certainly confused me for a while because  I knew that there should be some matches for today... until I realised the cause of the problem.

In terms of a solution, my preference would be to be able to select PFPCl range on the race conditions filters (instead of or as well as Race Class)... you could then add a note saying that PFPCl would be used on the system building side and PFPPRoCl on the todays selection side

The more I think about the more I think that it is logical to do the substitution for this and any other ratings that have the same issue by default. Otherwise you have the possibility where people will be unwittingly building systems where it is impossible to get a match on todays races.

I think a simple help article could clarify this and identify the ratings that will be treated in this way.

Cheers

John

An alternative would be to remove ratings that aren't available pre-race?

Hi Michael. That is definitely an option.

But you could make an equally strong argument that removing all projected versions of the ratings would also be an option as these are only relevant before a race, because once the race is run they are superseded by the actual rating for the race; surely system builder is about building systems on the actual outcome of races, and not what was projected to happen before the race?

From my pov, if you removed PFPCl than I wouldn't be able to use SB as things stand as every single one of my micro angles uses this rating. I know I could use PFPPROCl instead but it doesn't seem logical to me to use a projected rating when there is an actual version of the same rating.

Cheers

John

That also makes sense 🙂

I'm not convinced that automatically swapping them out pre-race is a good idea, however I do think a warning should be in place on post-race ratings only, and the ability to easily be able to select swapping them for projected race ratings for the system build and/or for selections.

Topic starter

Hi Michael. Thanks. This would definitely work for me and it would provide maximum flexibility for users.

Having thought about this a little more I definitely think you need the flexibility to switch between versions as you have suggested, because the other scenario is when you want to check how well as system has performed. For this you need to use the projected version in SB because that is what todays selections are based on.

Actually this is all little more complex than I initially thought 😀 

It is a bit complex, which is why I wanted to spend a bit of time chatting it through first 🙂

Topic starter

And having thought again my latest comment makes my previous suggestion (which was admittedly a little tongue in cheek) of removing the projected versions of the ratings, a bit silly!

😀

Share:
Back to top button
Close