One of my favourite meetings takes place at Newmarket, Thursday through to Saturday is the Cambridgeshire meeting and has a great variety of races. The race the festival is named after is a huge 35 runner contest on Saturday which is supported by a pair of juvenile Group 1’s. The Middle Park and Cheveley Park Stakes are often key pointers to next seasons classics and the Royal Lodge was won by the brilliant Roaring Lion last year. Thursday and Friday both have group races as well.
- William Haggas – A brilliant season has shown no signs of stopping after 8 winners last week, which included a three-timer on the big cards at Newbury and Ayr on Saturday. Has a couple of runners at Chelmsford on Tuesday where he has a 27% strike rate.
- Ian Williams – Boasted a 33% strike rate last week from just 18 runners. Has runners in both codes and has solitary declarations at Leicester, Lingfield and Warwick on Monday and Tuesday.
- Roger Varian – Bang in-form with 6 winners from limited runners last week and had an impressive Listed winner with the improving Sheikha Reika. Has a number of entries in the group races this week.
- Oisin Murphy – A fine season is continuing, 7 more added to his tally last week. Will likely pick up some good rides in the big races and could have some nice horses for owners Qatar Racing.
- Jason Watson – Making hay with his 3lb claim and I’m continuing to follow him while he’s still got it. 7 winners last week and he’s now at 85 for the season and is still improving.
- James Doyle – Impressive 33% strike rate in the UK last week from 18 rides, went down under to Australia and bagged a win in a Group 1 from his pair of rides. Pencilled in to be on some good chances at Goodwood on Wednesday.
- Barsanti – Has some strong form from earlier in the season, beating Mirage Dancer and then finishing fifth in the Princess Of Wales Stakes that is working out extremely well. Holds a couple of entries and would be interesting back in trip at Goodwood on Wednesday.
- Prince Eiji – Beautifully bred colt who made an encouraging debut when winning at Ascot. Entered in the Somerville Stakes and Royal Lodge at Newmarket on Thursday and Saturday, has bundles of potential.
- Beat The Bank – Dual Group 2 winner this term and won last time despite plenty going wrong, likely take his chance in the Joel Stakes at Newmarket on Friday which he won last year. Will take plenty of beating on ground that will suit him.
- So Perfect – Beat subsequent Group 1 winner on her penultimate start and was second in a Group 1 against the boys last time only finding the talented Advertise too good. Should go well if running in the Cheveley Park at Newmarket on Saturday.